Holy Saviors’ Church
They say that once an armenian believer wasn’t allowed to enter the greek church. That’s how Gyumri people decided to build their own church. The highest church was the Greek Orthodox Church called “Urums” at that time. So people wanted to build a higher church that would stand between the Greek and Armenian Catholic churches and throw a shade on them.
It was constructed between 1858 and 1872. The design of the church was derived from the architecture of the Cathedral of Ani. However the Holy Saviors’ Church is much larger than the Cathedral of Ani. The architect was Tadeos Andikyan, a famous master of masters. At beginning of the 1930s, it was confiscated by the Soviet government and the belfry was destroyed in 1932. Later in 1964, the belfry was restored. However, during the Soviet rule, the church building was used as a museum, and later as a classical music concerts hall. During the 1988 devastating earthquake, the Church of the Holy Saviors’ was severely damaged and went through an entire renovation process since 2002. Currently, the renovation is at its final staged, but it is open to the visitors.
145 Abovyan, Gyumri